2 hrs 45 mins
Wendys Kitchen's Note:
Another family favourite from Epicurious. Good enough to serve to company as well. I often make a meat version and a vegetarian version using the same spices and methods utilizing pumpkin, sweet potatoes, zucchinis etc..etc..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs cubed lamb
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pinch saffron thread, crumbled
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup pitted prune
- 1/2 cup dried apricot (preferably Turkish)
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a flameproof wide shallow casserole with a tight-fitting lid over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 2Brown meat on all sides in 2 batches, transferring to a plate as browned.
- 3Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to tagine and cook onion, stirring, until softened. Return meat and bones to pot.
- 4Stir in water, saffron, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer mixture, covered, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- 6Transfer lamb to a clean plate, and add carrots and sweet potato to pot, then simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are barely tender, about 10 minutes.
- 7Add ginger, cinnamon, prunes, apricots, and squash, then simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and fruits are tender, about 5 minutes.
- 8Return lamb to stew and add honey. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Tagine With Dried Fruit
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.3
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 120.0 mg
- Sodium 572.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 24.5 g
- Protein 34.8 g