Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From allrecipes.com North African recipes. Posted for ZWT6.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs lamb, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 carrots, peeled, cut into fourths, then sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can homemade chicken broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canlow-sodium canned broth
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- Place diced lamb in a bowl, toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and set aside.
- In a large resealable bag, toss together the paprika, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, salt, ginger, saffron, garlic powder, and coriander; mix well.
- Add the lamb to the bag, and toss around to coat well.
- Refrigerate at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/3 of the lamb, and brown well.
- Remove to a plate, and repeat with remaining lamb.
- Add onions and carrots to the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh garlic and ginger; continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Return the lamb to the pot and stir in the lemon zest, chicken broth, tomato paste, and honey.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender.
- If the consistency of the tagine is too thin, you may thicken it with a mixture of cornstarch and water during the last 5 minutes.
This was awsome - DH raved about it, and I barely could stop eating. Made it exactly as written except for the carrots - used sweet potatoes instead which basically doesn't change the taste so much. Already got requests to make it again :) Thanks for posting, busy Co-Unrulie! Made for ZWT 6 NA*ME for the Unrulies Under The Influence.