Rose J's Note:
This is a lightened up verson of my favorite tagine. I made this for years and needed to lighten up the calories when I joined WW.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon Contadina tomato paste, with 100% Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup carrot, cut in chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup onion, cut in cubes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 ounces loin lamb, trimmed, raw, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1In a large resealable bag, toss together the paprika, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, salt, ginger, saffron, 1/2 the garlic , and coriander; mix well.
- 2Add the lamb to the bag, and toss around to coat well.
- 3Refrigerate at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- 4Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- 5Add 1/3 of the lamb, and brown well.
- 6Remove to a plate, and repeat with remaining lamb.
- 7Add onions and carrots to the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in the rest of the fresh garlic and ginger; continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- 9Return the lamb to the pot and stir in the lemon zest, chicken broth, tomato paste, and honey.
- 10Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender.
- 11If the consistency of the tagine is too thin, you may thicken it with a mixture of cornstarch and water during the last 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Moroccan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Tagine
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.3
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 56.3 mg
- Sodium 513.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 13.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Contadina tomato paste