Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Best to start this recipe the day before as you marinate the lamb overnight. Cooking time does not include the marinading time.
- 1 1⁄2 kg lamb, diced
- 1 large red onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 120 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange rind, large piece
- 810 g diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 375 ml beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 30 g butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 240 g chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup green olives
- mint, to garnish
- Combine lamb, onion, garlic, coriander, spices, oil and salt in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat a skillet over high heat, add lamb in batches and fry until lightly browned all over.
- Place meat in a tagine or casserole dish, add the orange peel.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving the juice.
- Set the tomatoes aside.
- Combine the juice and tomato paste, then add to the meat with the stock and bay leaf.
- Cover and bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat to a plate.
- Place the dish over high heat (if you are using a tagine, you will need to transfer the liquid to a skillet).
- Add tomatoes and butter and reduce for 2 minutes, then add the honey, chickpeas, olives and meat.
- Cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with mint.