Recipe by Tulsi Regmi
This is a spicy preparation which consists of thinly sliced smoked meat marinated in Himalayan spices.
- 3 lbs boneless lamb, cut into thin 3 in long slices (buff or beef can also be used)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon hot chili paste
- 1 teaspoon ground szechuan peppercorns (timur)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender, combine chopped onions, cumin, ginger, garlic, chili, timur, turmeric, molasses, honey, oil, salt and pepper into a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl, combine lamb pieces with the spice mixture; mix well, cover and let marinate for at least two hours.
- Fire up a charcoal grill and place the marinated lamb slices on the grill, further away from direct fire.
- Allow smoking for about an hour, or until the slices are cooked and slightly crisp.
- Serve with rice pilaf and stir-fried vegetables, accompanied with mango chutney.