Recipe by mommycook
I had several "eight-ball" or round zucchini from my garden and wanted a yummy main dish to make them into so I created this for dinner. It came out savory and delicious! It would be great to stir some cheese into the stuffing as well. I served it with steamed rice and fruit salad.
- 4 zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the zucchini well and cut the stem off. If using regular long zucchini, slice in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller, hollow out the middle of the zucchini while keeping a "boat" of outer flesh intact. Swirl 1T. olive oil in the bottom of a baking dish and place the zucchini boats in the dish.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a non-stick medium fry pan, saute the onions and garlic in the other T. of olive oil. Let them soften but do not brown.
- Add the ground lamb and cook until the lamb is mostly cooked through.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the bread crumbs and rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Beat the egg lightly in a separate bowl then pour over the lamb mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into each zucchini cavity, mounding to fill. Any filling that falls around the zucchini will just make nice browned bits to eat.
- Cover with foil loosely and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes or until zucchini is nicely softened and stuffing is browned.