Little eggplants stuffed with lamb tomato sauce and a bread crumb topping. Super easy and yummers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Slice eggplants in half lengthwise, cut 1/4 inch border and scoop out inner flesh making an eggplant boat. Chop the removed eggplant flesh into small cubes.
- 3Sprinkle inside of scooped-out eggplants with coarse salt and let sit for ten minutes to remove bitterness. After ten minutes, rinse very well, drain, and pat dry with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- 4Place eggplant "boats" on a cookie sheet, drizzle evenly the 3 tbs of olive oil inside of the eggplants. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 10-15 minutes, until they are tender and th flesh is slightly browned.
- 5While roasting the eggplants, add one tbs olive oil to a sauce pot and begin to sautee the chopped onion.
- 6As the onion becomes a little bit transparent, add the garlic, let cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- 7Add the ground lamb and season with salt & pepper, and cumin. Let the lamb browm, break into smaller bits.
- 8Add red bellpepper and the removed and cubed eggplant flesh.
- 9Stir to mix all ingredients, place lid over pot for 5 minutes to steam the eggplant chunks, they will release juices into the meat mixture.
- 10Add the can of tomato sauce and reduce to a simmer.
- 11Mix the bread crumbs with 1 tbs of butter. I do this in my food processor as it goes quickly, but it is easy to smoosh together with your fingers.
- 12Fill each eggplant "boat" with the tomato/lamb sauce, top with bread brumbs, and bake the eggplants at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- 13I always broil for the last two minutes to make a really crispy bread crumb topping, but be sure to keep an eye on it if you do broil because the bread crumbs will burn fast.
- 14Eat while hot and enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Stuffed Eggplants
Serving Size: 1 (473 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.9
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 32.7 mg
- Sodium 663.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 15.4 g