Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Little eggplants stuffed with lamb tomato sauce and a bread crumb topping. Super easy and yummers.
Make and share this Lamb Stuffed Eggplants recipe from Food.com.
- 3 small eggplants
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 fat garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 (398 ml) can tomato sauce
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground lamb
- 2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice eggplants in half lengthwise, cut 1/4 inch border and scoop out inner flesh making an eggplant boat. Chop the removed eggplant flesh into small cubes.
- Sprinkle inside of scooped-out eggplants with coarse salt and let sit for ten minutes to remove bitterness. After ten minutes, rinse very well, drain, and pat dry with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Place eggplant "boats" on a cookie sheet, drizzle evenly the 3 tbs of olive oil inside of the eggplants. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 10-15 minutes, until they are tender and th flesh is slightly browned.
- While roasting the eggplants, add one tbs olive oil to a sauce pot and begin to sautee the chopped onion.
- As the onion becomes a little bit transparent, add the garlic, let cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add the ground lamb and season with salt & pepper, and cumin. Let the lamb browm, break into smaller bits.
- Add red bellpepper and the removed and cubed eggplant flesh.
- Stir to mix all ingredients, place lid over pot for 5 minutes to steam the eggplant chunks, they will release juices into the meat mixture.
- Add the can of tomato sauce and reduce to a simmer.
- Mix the bread crumbs with 1 tbs of butter. I do this in my food processor as it goes quickly, but it is easy to smoosh together with your fingers.
- Fill each eggplant "boat" with the tomato/lamb sauce, top with bread brumbs, and bake the eggplants at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- I always broil for the last two minutes to make a really crispy bread crumb topping, but be sure to keep an eye on it if you do broil because the bread crumbs will burn fast.
- Eat while hot and enjoy!