Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is popular in the African country of Benin. The recipe calls for shrimp powder but, if you can't find that, a little fish sauce or anchovy paste would make a decent substitute. You could also just leave it out and use a bit more salt for seasoning. Serve with steamed rice.
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 15 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb shoulder, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 12 ounces diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 teaspoon shrimp, powder
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 small cabbage, shredded
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- Boil water and stir in peanut butter; simmer for 20 minutes to reduce, skimming off any accumulated fat from the surface.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, brown the lamb in the oil, stir in onions and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook about 30 seconds; stir in tomatoes, thyme, shrimp powder, and season with salt.
- Add carrots, cabbage, and peanut butter reduction; simmer and further reduce another 20 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and cook until vegetables are tender, 40 minutes.