Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is popular in the African country of Benin. The recipe calls for shrimp powder but, if you can't find that, a little fish sauce or anchovy paste would make a decent substitute. You could also just leave it out and use a bit more salt for seasoning. Serve with steamed rice.
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 15 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb shoulder, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 12 ounces diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 teaspoon shrimp, powder
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 small cabbage, shredded
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- Boil water and stir in peanut butter; simmer for 20 minutes to reduce, skimming off any accumulated fat from the surface.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, brown the lamb in the oil, stir in onions and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook about 30 seconds; stir in tomatoes, thyme, shrimp powder, and season with salt.
- Add carrots, cabbage, and peanut butter reduction; simmer and further reduce another 20 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and cook until vegetables are tender, 40 minutes.