Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A claire smith recipe from Starchefs
- 5 lbs lamb stew meat
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups white wine
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 quarts rich chicken broth
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- Seaon lamb stew meat with salt and pepper and sear in a heavy iron skillet.
- Saute all ingredrients until wine in a deep casserole for long enough to soften onions.
- Add the lamb pieces once they are well browned all over.
- Add wine and orange juice and allow to reduce to 1/4
- Add chicken stock to casserole and allow stew to simmer for an hour and a half
- Add celery and carrots and simmer for another 15 minutes.
I was torn between 4 and 5 stars for this recipe, as the orange juice overpowered the ingredients, I used sweetened juice and that may have been the culprit, also 1/2 cup fresh garlic was a bit extreme even for myself who loves garlic, I only used 2 heaping tablespoonfuls, if I should make this again I will need to play around with amounts and do some adjustments, thanks for sharing Marra!