Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 56 mins
Serve the stew with hot cooked couscous, rice, or bulgur.
Make and share this Lamb Stew With Artichokes and Dried Figs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb boneless lamb stew meat, cut into 1/2 x 1-inch pieces
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised with the side of a heavy knife
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) canplum tomatoes with juice, coarsely chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces dried calimyrna figs or 8 ounces dried black figs, stems trimmed
- 2 slices orange zest, each about 1/2 x 2 inches
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and blotted dry
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped of fresh mint
- Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper; place flour in a plastic bag, add a few pieces of lamb to the bag; shake to coat.
- Remove and shake off excess flour; repeat with the remaining lamb.
- Heat a deep skillet or sauté pan with a tight-fitting lid over med heat; add in 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add in half of the lamb to the hot oil; cook about 15 minutes or until evenly browned; transfer lamb to a plate; repeat with remaining lamb.
- Add another tablespoon oil to the pan if needed; add in onions and carrot to hot oil; cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes or until onions are golden.
- Add in the garlic and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- Transfer vegetables to the plate with the lamb.
- Add the win to the pan and boil over high heat until reduced by half.
- Then add in the tomatoes, figs, 1 strip of orange zest and cinnamon stick; bring to a boil.
- Return the lamb/vegetables and any accumulated juices to the pan; cook, covered, over med-low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet; cook the artichoke hearts for about 15 minutes, turning them with a spatula (until golden brown).
- About 15 minutes before the lamb is cooked, stir in the artichoke hearts; add salt/pepper to taste, if needed.
- Finely chop the dill, mint, and remaining orange zest together.
- Sprinkle over the stew and serve.