Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 56 mins
Serve the stew with hot cooked couscous, rice, or bulgur.
Make and share this Lamb Stew With Artichokes and Dried Figs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb boneless lamb stew meat, cut into 1/2 x 1-inch pieces
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised with the side of a heavy knife
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) canplum tomatoes with juice, coarsely chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces dried calimyrna figs or 8 ounces dried black figs, stems trimmed
- 2 slices orange zest, each about 1/2 x 2 inches
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and blotted dry
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper; place flour in a plastic bag, add a few pieces of lamb to the bag; shake to coat.
- Remove and shake off excess flour; repeat with the remaining lamb.
- Heat a deep skillet or sauté pan with a tight-fitting lid over med heat; add in 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add in half of the lamb to the hot oil; cook about 15 minutes or until evenly browned; transfer lamb to a plate; repeat with remaining lamb.
- Add another tablespoon oil to the pan if needed; add in onions and carrot to hot oil; cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes or until onions are golden.
- Add in the garlic and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- Transfer vegetables to the plate with the lamb.
- Add the win to the pan and boil over high heat until reduced by half.
- Then add in the tomatoes, figs, 1 strip of orange zest and cinnamon stick; bring to a boil.
- Return the lamb/vegetables and any accumulated juices to the pan; cook, covered, over med-low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet; cook the artichoke hearts for about 15 minutes, turning them with a spatula (until golden brown).
- About 15 minutes before the lamb is cooked, stir in the artichoke hearts; add salt/pepper to taste, if needed.
- Finely chop the dill, mint, and remaining orange zest together.
- Sprinkle over the stew and serve.