Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a classic French dish, and our favorite lamb stew; I think it is the perfect comfort food for chilly autumn and winter evenings.
- 1 kg lamb
- 30 g butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 2 potatoes
- 2 stalks celery
- 12 fresh green beans
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 beef bouillon cube, dissolved in
- 3 cups water
- 1 bouquet garni (thyme, parsley and bayleaf)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Trim the meat of fat and connective tissue, then cut in 3/4 inch cubes.
- Prepare the vegetables: peel onions and cut into wedges; mince garlic finely; peel carrots, parsnips and potatoes and cut into small chunks; clean celery and slice; top and tail green beans.
- In a large dutch oven saute meat in batches in butter and oil till browned; remove, drain and set aside.
- In what remains of the butter/oil in the pan, saute onion till golden.
- Add garlic, carrot, parsnip and celery and sweat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir the flour in well, then add tomato paste and mustard.
- Return the meat to the pan; add potatoes and bouquet garni.
- Pour in the beef stock and mix thoroughly.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat, simmering covered for 1 hour.
- Add the green beans and cook for a further 20 to 30 minutes;.
- the meat should be tender and the sauce thick.
- Remove bouqet garni, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with a crusty bread.
Wonderful even if I did have to deviate by substituting asparagus for the green beans! This will definitely become one of my staples
Delicious Lamb Stew, I used Lamb shoulder chops as I couldn't get lamb stew meat. also used home canned green beans instead of fresh, other than those I made the stew as recipe stated, we love parsnips, so good in the stew. DH really enjoyed it, saying this is really delicious. Great for our cold weather that we are having. Thank you Minx's for another delicious recipe.