1/1 Photo of Lamb Stew from Southern France
3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
A whole leg of lamb (bone and all) goes into the pot with your standard veggies, lots of garlic, most of the spice cabinet, dried fruit and a whole bottle of wine! Two and a half hours later it's velvety soft and begging to be spooned over your favourite rice or grain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs leg of lamb, with bone (5 lbs bone-in)
- 1/3 cup fine rice flour or 1/3 cup cornflour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, halved and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 750 ml merlot or 750 ml Burgundy wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 lemon, zest of
- 8 garlic cloves, halved
- 20 prunes, halved
- 30 dried apricots, halved
- salt and pepper
- 1Slice the lamb meat off the bone and cube. Using a mallet, crack the bone in a few places and set aside.
- 2Whisk together the rice flour, salt, pepper and mustard powder in a dish and dredge the cubed meat.
- 3Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a heavy Dutch oven and fry meat in batches until well browned. Remove to a plate.
- 4Add the remaining oil to the pot and stir in the onions, minced garlic, carrots and celery.
- 5Cook for 5 minutes over medium flame.
- 6Add all the spices and continue to cook for a couple of minutes, until fragrant.
- 7Add the lamb back to the pot, add the bone and pour in the wine and chicken broth.
- 8Stir in the tomato paste, thyme sprigs, lemon zest, halved garlic cloves and fruit.
- 9Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 10Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 2 hours, or until the lamb is tender.
- 11Remove the bone and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes longer.
- 12Serve over brown rice, Israeli couscous or your favourite ancient grain.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Stew from Southern France
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 589.3
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 106.3 mg
- Sodium 441.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 22.4 g
- Protein 33.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of