Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cuban-style lamb stew.
Make and share this Lamb Stew/Estofado De Cordero recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs cubed lamb, excess fat removed
- 1⁄4 cup diced white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup roux
- salt and pepper
Traditional Roux (brown sauce)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- Heat large Dutch oven and add oil. When very hot add lamb, onion, garlic, celery, carrots. Mix together well and sauté for about 10 minutes, until lamb is browned.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, white wine, and 1/2 cup traditional roux. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until lamb is tender 1.5 to 2 hours. Serve in bowl with crusty bread.
- Make Traditional Roux: Melt butter in small saucepan. Blend in flour with a whisk and stir over low heat until flour is browned. Add the beef stock, bring to a boil and whisk 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer another 30 minutes, continuing to stir.