Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe by Layne Thomas, Executive Chef, the Three Chimneys Inn, Durham, New Hampshire.
Make and share this Lamb Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs lamb, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup celery, large diced
- 1 cup carrot, large diced
- 1 cup parsnip, large diced
- 1 cup onion, large diced
- 1⁄2 cup turnip, large diced
- 1⁄2 cup potato, large diced
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- chopped fresh thyme leave
- salt and pepper
- 2 fluid ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces bisto gravy mix (cornstarch may be substituted)
- 2 fluid ounces water
- Place the olive oil into a large hot skillet; add the cubed lamb and lightly brown.
- When lamb is about halfway cooked, add the brown sugar and tomato juice.
- Turn heat to medium and add the vegetables and garlic.
- Turn the heat to low and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- At this point stir in the fresh herbs and dry spices.
- Emulsify the Bisto in about two ounces of water and stir it into the stew evenly.
This recipe was horrible! I am positive the measurement for the brown sugar is incorrect. I thought it called for the sugar to cut the acid of the tomato juice. I should have started with a pinch. No amount of bouillon, salt, or vinegar could cut the syrupy sweetness of the stew. Thank goodness DH was understanding as dinner was ruined! I would give this recipe another try without any sugar!