Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We love lamb and this is our favorite lamb stew. Often times, I just use leftovers from a leg of lamb for the meat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs lamb stew meat
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 lbs potatoes, cubed
- 5 carrots, cubed
- 1 lb mushroom, quartered
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 2 tablespoons mint
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute 2 minutes.
- Add meat and cook 10 minutes until brown.
- Add water and wine.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Cut carrots and potatoes into chunks.
- Quarter mushrooms.
- Add rest except herbs.
- Cook medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add herbs.
- Simmer 2 minutes.
This made a warming lunch for a cold Saturday. My meat was already cooked leftovers which made this easy to prepare. I added some diced pumpkin and adorned it with home grown coriander. Made for ZWT8.
Terrific lamb stew! I made it with some leftover lamb steaks, added a sweet potato and some frozen peas. It was easy to make and the directions simple to follow. Since my meat was already cooked I skipped the browning part. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing. Made for Football Game 2010.