Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was given to me by one of my favorite vendors at our Farmers Market and it is delicious. It serves apprx 4-6 people
- 2 lbs boneless lamb, cubed
- 2 lbs spinach, washed,drained and stems removed,chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 tablespoons yogurt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- Heat oil add peppercorns,bayleaves,cardamon, stir fry for 2 seconds add cloves.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, and cook until the onions are soft.
- Add lamb, coriander, cumin, cayenne & salt, stir fry 1 minute.
- Add yogurt 1 tbsp at a time and continue adding until the 5 tbsp have been incorporated.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour. Add spinach for the last 5 minutes of cooking
- Add garam masala turn heat to medium stir and cook for 5 minutes until the sauce is thick.
- Remove bay leaves, cardamon pods and if possible the whoile pepper corns.
- Serve with plain rice.
We enjoyed this Bergy, just found it a bit thin when the spinach released its moisture, so removed the lid for more like 20 minutes to allow it to thicken. It had good flavour once it had reduced. *I'm editing this as I also remembered we reduced the amount of oil in the recipe to 8 teaspoons rather than the 8 tablespoons as suggested.