Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe I learnt in high school cooking class - became a staple for summer BBQ's
- 500 g lamb, diced and threaded onto skewers
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 flat bread (pita, lavosh etc)
- 1⁄2 lettuce
- 1 tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup hummus
- Mix oil, crushed garlic, onion, bay leaves, lemon juice and oregano together in a shallow dish or marinader. Add meat skewers and marinade for 2 hours up to overnight.
- Shred lettuce and cut up tomato into slices, put into serving bowls.
- Cook meat on a BBQ or grill pan for 4-5 minutes on each side until well cooked.
- To serve - Place the flat breads, lettuce, tomato, greek yoghurt and hommus and cooked skewers on the table for self serve.
Yum! The seasonings are delicious on the lamb (although sea salt sprinkled on the kebabs after cooking is essential in my opinion). I love the accompaniments too. I garnished the yogurt with fresh mint and the hummus with a bit of olive oil and pine nuts.
My family loved this. I served it over rice. Easy and tastey, we broiled the meat in the oven.