Recipe by topchefddb
Seasoned ground lamb with a delicious Feta sauce, great for parties or light snacks! My version of the best Gyro ever
Top Review by goodribman
Lamb was moist, tender and flavorful. The aromatic herbs combined with the creamy cheesy feta sauce made this a hit with the whole family. This is a recipe I will be making for a very long time.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons mint leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, divided
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 12 flour tortillas, cut in half (soft taco size)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, combine shallots garlic and mint leaves and pulse until very finely shopped.
- Combine beef and lamb on a cutting board until well mixed. Form into a large rectangle patty.
- layer on the mint shallots and garlic.
- Sprinkle on cinnamon allspice cumin, cayenne and salt and pepper and half the grated lemon zest. With your hands fold the large patty again and again until the meat has evenly incorporated all of the herbs and spices. Wrap and refrigerate over night.
- In a food processor, add the feta cheese, mayonnaise, cream cheese, olive oil, with the other half of the cayenne pepper and lemon zest. Process until smooth. Add chopped green onion and refrigerate over night. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Form meat into 24 small patties around 1.25 ounces each. Brush each with a little canola oil on both sides and grill over medium heat 2-3 minutes per side.
- To serve, put one patty in 1/2 tortilla with one or two teaspoons of the Feta sauce and garnish with a half slice of tomato.