TOOLBELT DIVA's Note:
Lamb Shoulder Chops are probably not a purchase consideration as frequently as the more popular lamb chop, because of the less tender quality, less attractive appearance. However, the beauty of Lamb Shoulder Chops is in their versatility. Cook them up as a "chop" a "steak", marinate and barbecue as you would the more expensive lamb cut, or cut them up and make a delicious hot-pot, fit for kings and their courtege. Overnight marinating transform these Cinderellas into the Belle-of-the-Ball. Accompaniments could include boiled, creamy parslied potatoes, lemony-fiddleheads in season, broccoli/slivered almond casserole, or just a big old-country endive salad with an extra-virgin olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing. Too many flavours would, after all detract from the Lamb/Shoulder Chops. You will, of course, serve your favourite white wine(s), or red(s) if you prefer, or both for your guests' preference. If your guests bring wine, serve their selection - save yours for future dinner parties, because your guests will want to return for a repeat performance. I suggest you prepare your accompaniments while the meat is baking so everything will be ready at the same time. Prep. time does not include the 24-hour marinating process. Cook time includes oven baking, and all stove-top cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 shoulder lamb chops
- 1 medium vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 5 fresh roma tomatoes, skinned and halved
- 1 cup olive oil (you might not use it all)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons romano cheese
- 1 -2 cup all-purpose flour (for dredging, you may not use it all)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 1/4 cups milk
MARINADE and SAUCE
- 1Prepare MARINADE the night before your dinner party.
- 2Of the MARINADE and SAUCE ingredients mix ONLY first seven in your Processor, or Blender.
- 3Reserve last four ingredients for future use.
- 4Remember to use only the first seven ingredients.
- 5Remove excess fat from around the outside of shoulder chops.
- 6Leave the bone in, if there is one.
- 7Place chops in a covered container large enough to accommodate all, even if you have to"double-row" them.
- 8Pour MARINADE over shoulder chops, cover and place in refrigerator.
- 9Allow to marinate 24 hours; be sure the chops are all well covered with the MARINADE.
- 10Baste chops periodically to ensure good saturation.
- 11Keep covered during the marinating process.
- 12Next day, when you are ready for cooking: Remove shoulder chops from MARINADE; pat dry with paper toweling and set aside.
- 13Reserve the MARINADE for later use in the sauce preparation.
- 14In a saucepan and 1/2 cup water, over medium heat,cook asparagus spears for 5-7 minutes.
- 15Because of the quantity, you may have to do this in a couple of batches.
- 16Remove asparagus spears from water and reserve for use in SAUCE preparation.
- 17Discard the water.
- 18Skin the Roma tomatoes by dipping in very hot water for a few minutes; the skin should slide off easily.
- 19Slice off the tops and discard; cut skinned tomatoes in half, lengthwise.
- 20Cover and set aside for later use.
- 21In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of the olive oil; add the butter. (Watch it does not burn).
- 22Saute all the onions, stirring frequently; transfer to a small bowl.
- 23Mix in 1/2 Tbsp grated parmesan or Romano cheese. Cover and set aside for later use.
- 24In the same skillet, add a little more olive oil for browning.
- 25Lightly cook tomato halves, flat side only, until just brown.
- 26Transfer to a plate and sprinkle balance of grated parmesan or Romano cheese on the tomatoes; Cover and set aside for later use.
- 27Add water to two eggs and beat well with a hand mixer or rotary beater.
- 28At this point you should take out your shallow oven pan or a shallow pan large enough to accommodate all the chops at one time.
- 29PREHEAT OVEN TO 325°F.
- 30In four separate containers, place the milk, flour, well-beaten eggs, bread crumbs, Add more olive oil to the skillet, as needed.
- 31Prepare the chops in the following order: Soak in milk, dredge in flour, dip in beaten eggs, finally in bread crumbs.
- 32Brown both sides of chops quickly in skillet; remove to shallow oven pan.
- 33Give the onions and grated cheese an additional toss to coat well.
- 34Spoon onions over the breaded chops, dividing equally.
- 35Top-off with one tomato half, flat side down, on each chop.
- 36Use up all of the grated cheese bits, as well.
- 37Bake uncovered, in preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- 38Turn down oven to 275°F and continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes.
- 39While the meat is baking, prepare the Creamy, Asparagus/Ricotta/Curry Sauce SAUCE PREPARATION: In a saucepan, over medium heat, bring MARINADE/SAUCE mixture to a boil.
- 40Turn heat down and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- 41Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- 42Add cooked asparagus, ricotta cheese and a little of the cooked MARINADE/SAUCE mixture to your food processor.
- 43Process on "pulse cycle" for a few minutes or until ricotta cheese and asparagus are well blended.
- 44Continue to gradually add all of the MARINADE/SAUCE mixture, through feed tube, until smooth.
- 45You now have the basis for the SAUCE.
- 46Transfer SAUCE to saucepan; bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- 47Remove from heat and set aside.
- 48Put all of the cornstarch into a medium-sized bowl.
- 49Make a roux by gradually whisking 35% cream (or whipping cream) into the cornstarch, whisking continuously, until all of the cream has been used, and roux is very smooth.
- 50Gradually,and gently transfer about 1/4 cup of the SAUCE mixture to the roux.
- 51Continue whisking as you gradually add additional SAUCE to the roux.
- 52Remember you are working with very hot ingredients; please be careful; do not burn yourself.
- 53Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, whisking continuously.
- 54Turn down heat as low as possible.
- 55Allow to thicken while whisking.
- 56Whisk again, just before spooning onto chops.
- 57Turn off the oven.
- 58Transfer Lamb Chops from oven pan to dinner plates.
- 59Spoon the CREAMY ASPARAGUS RICOTTA/CURRY SAUCE over the Lamb Chops, and serve while still hot.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb/Shoulder Chops - Avec Creamy Asparagus/Ricotta/Curry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.8
- Calories from Fat 400
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 340.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
shoulder lamb chops