Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Dried apricots give the dish just the right amount of sweetness mixed with the spices :)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 boneless lamb shoulder, cut into cubes (about 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, halved
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil, until tender.
- Add the lamb, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes, or until meat is browned.
- Add apricots, orange juice, almonds and orange peel.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2-quart baking dish.
- Stir in broth.
- Cover, and bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
I was rummaging around for a fresh idea when I stumbled across this recipe and, fortunately, had all the ingredients except an orange for the zest. It turned out well regardless and my roommate loved the subtle sweetness of the apricots with the lamb.