Recipe by Witch Doctor
This recipe is an original Armenian method of making Shashlik using lamb instead of beef.
- 1 boneless leg of lamb
- 2 white onions
- 5 lemons
- red wine vinegar, to cover lamb
- red wine or white wine or beer
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the lamb into one inch chunks. Take care to remove as much fat, gristle and fascia as possible.
- Mince the onions, chop up the fresh herbs, and squeeze the lemons. Put each in a separate container.
- Take a large tupperware container and put one layer of lamb on the bottom. Sprinkle this with salt and pepper, onions, fresh herbs, and lemon juice. Continue until all ingredients are used up. Press down. If the mixture is not completely covered in juice, top up with vinegar and wine (or beer) in equal proportions (a bit less vinegar if you use wine).
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove lamb chunks, place on skewers and roast on a barbecue. Do not overcook. Serve immediately.