2 hrs 30 mins
Cooking Beast's Note:
A one-dish meal made with lamb shanks and vegetables. Recipe adapted from The One-Dish Cookbook by Robert C. Ackart (1967).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 (12 ounce) lamb shanks
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika or 1 tablespoon spanish smoked paprika
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large baking potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 carrots, scraped and cut into 3/4-inch rounds
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 16 ounces stewed tomatoes (such as Muir Glen)
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon (such as Minor's All Natural Chicken Base)
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1Place bacon in a 6-quart casserole dish. Cook bacon to render fat. Remove bacon and brown the lamb shanks in bacon oil. Remove shanks.
- 2Place onion and garlic in casserole in remaining oil. Cook until translucent. Add oregano.
- 3For the cooking liquid use 2 cups of water in which 2 teaspoons of beef or chicken bouillon have been dissolved. Add this to casserole.
- 4Cover casserole, place in preheated oven, and cook for 1 hour at 325°F.
- 5Add the prepared vegetables and cook, covered, for another 60 minutes.
- 6Serve with a dollop of sour cream over each shank.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks With Vegetables (Hungarian)
Serving Size: 1 (701 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 890.0
- Calories from Fat 418
- Total Fat 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 311.4 mg
- Sodium 554.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 93.2 g