1/1 Photo of Lamb Shanks With Red Wine
2 hrs 30 mins
GREG IN SAN DIEGO's Note:
This is one of my favorite lamb recipes, from Craig Claiborne's New York Times International Cookbook. I have adapted it slightly to my taste. It is easily prepared and always well received.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lamb shanks
- 3 tablespoons flour (I prefer Wondra.)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup finely chopped deveined celery
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine (drinkable)
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Rub the shanks with flour, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat the butter and oil in a heavy skillet.
- 4Brown the shanks on all sides and transfer to a casserole.
- 5To the same skillet, add the onion and cook, stirring, until wilted.
- 6Add the carrot, celery and garlic and cook briefly.
- 7Stir in the wine and pour the mixture over the shanks.
- 8Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- 9Cover tightly and bake one and one-half to two hours, or until fork tender.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks With Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 830.4
- Calories from Fat 416
- Total Fat 46.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 257.3 mg
- Sodium 223.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 72.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: