Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a great recipe for lamb shanks, it's total comfort food at it's best, the juice from this is so good, if you like lots of juice then add in a little more water or broth, and adjust all ingredients to taste.
- 6 lamb shanks
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into about 2-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into about 2-inch pieces
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olive (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the lamb with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in the shanks and brown on both sides (this should take about 10-12 minutes).
- Transfer the browned shanks to a bowl.
- Add in the onion, celery, rosemany, oregano and 10-12 minutes or until the veggies are golden.
- Add in the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomatoes with juice, water, broth and wine and return the lamb back to the pot (pressing the lamb into the juices with a fork or spoon) bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 2 hours or until the lamb are Just tender.
- Add in the potatoes, carrots, olives and parsnips and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until tender.
- After the 30 minutes of cooking season with salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the lamb and veggies to a large platter.
- Boil the juices for about another 5 minutes or until thickened, season again with black pepper.
- Spoon the sauce over the lamb and veggies.