3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
This is a great recipe for lamb shanks, it's total comfort food at it's best, the juice from this is so good, if you like lots of juice then add in a little more water or broth, and adjust all ingredients to taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lamb shanks
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into about 2-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into about 2-inch pieces
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olive (or to taste)
- 1Season the lamb with seasoning salt and pepper.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 3Add in the shanks and brown on both sides (this should take about 10-12 minutes).
- 4Transfer the browned shanks to a bowl.
- 5Add in the onion, celery, rosemany, oregano and 10-12 minutes or until the veggies are golden.
- 6Add in the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- 7Add in the tomatoes with juice, water, broth and wine and return the lamb back to the pot (pressing the lamb into the juices with a fork or spoon) bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 2 hours or until the lamb are Just tender.
- 8Add in the potatoes, carrots, olives and parsnips and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until tender.
- 9After the 30 minutes of cooking season with salt and pepper.
- 10Using a slotted spoon remove the lamb and veggies to a large platter.
- 11Boil the juices for about another 5 minutes or until thickened, season again with black pepper.
- 12Spoon the sauce over the lamb and veggies.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks With Parsnips, Carrots and Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (950 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1043.7
- Calories from Fat 413
- Total Fat 45.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 544.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 79.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: