Recipe by Kayelle
This is my own recipe I have been tweaking for a long time. Hope you give it a try..my family loves it.
- 4 large lamb shanks
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups Burgundy wine
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, sliced and cut into half rings
- 1 (5 ounce) jar green olives, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a small sharp knife, cut around though the meat down to the bone, about four inches from the small end of the shank. This will release the connective tendons from the end of the bone.
- Salt and pepper shanks well, and brown on all sides in a large chicken fryer pan, or dutch oven.
- Remove shanks, pour off most of the grease, and saute' the onion and garlic in the drippings, being careful to not burn the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, and olives, and place the shanks back into the pan, basting well.
- Bake tightly covered in the oven at 350 degrees for about two hrs, till meat is very tender. Return pan to stove top, and simmer uncovered for another 1/2 hr.to reduce the sauce. I serve it over mashed garlic potatoes, but rice or noodles would be good too.