1/2 Photos of Lamb Shanks With Merlot and Garlic
2 hrs 20 mins
Lamb shanks become tender and juicy when braised in a good Pacific Northwest Merlot. If your pot is smaller than 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter, ask your butcher to crack the bones so the shanks will fit. Serve with lots of fresh crusty bread to mop up the sauce. From The Pacific Northwest (Williams-Sonoma New American Cooking) by Jean Galton.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs meaty lamb shanks (four, 3/4 to 1 lb. each)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large walla walla onions or 1 large other sweet onion, chopped
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes or 1 lb yellow fin potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 lb carrot, peeled, split lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic, bulbs cloves separated and peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, tied in a bundle
- 1 cup merlot
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (Italian)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- 2Trim off any excess fat from the lamb shanks.
- 3Sprinkle the shanks with the salt and pepper.
- 4Spread the flour on a plate and turn the shanks in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- 5In a large, heavy ovenproof pot over high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- 6Add the shanks (in batches, if necessary) and brown well on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 7Transfer the shanks to a plate.
- 8Wipe out the pot.
- 9Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pot over medium-high heat.
- 10Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- 11Return the shanks to the pot along with the potatoes, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, wine, and stock.
- 12Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to the oven.
- 13Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and continue to bake until the Iamb is very tender, about 30 minutes longer.
- 14Transfer the shanks to a platter.
- 15Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes and carrots to the platter.
- 16Cover and keep warm.
- 17Using a large spoon, skim off any fat from the surface of the sauce remaining in the pot.
- 18Lift out and discard the bay leaves and the thyme.
- 19Place the pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
- 20Cook the sauce until it reduces and is lightly thickened, 3-5 minutes.
- 21Pour the sauce around the meat.
- 22Sprinkle the meat and vegetables with the parsley and mint.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks With Merlot and Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (892 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1446.6
- Calories from Fat 642
- Total Fat 71.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 409.8 mg
- Sodium 1055.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 127.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: