1/2 Photos of Lamb Shanks With Garlic and Port Wine - Pressure Cooker
Mrs Goodall's Note:
Lamb shanks are a great meat for novice pressure cookers. The lamb is a great cut of meat with a rich flavor. With traditional cooking, you are looking at a good 2 hours, with the Pressure Cooker just 30 minutes!! The recipe comes from "The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Pat Dailey, a great book. Honestly, I didn't taste the garlic that much, not sure whether to add more, or give the garlic cloves a chop or two. I did use port, but I imagine you could substitute a heavy red wine. I served with orzo pasta mixed with green peas. This recipe is for 2, but it would be easy to make for 4 or 6 depending on the size of your PC, just brown them in in a large frying/sauté pan. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lamb shanks
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or other broth)
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (up to 2 teaspoons)
- 1Trim excess fat from the lamb shanks and season with salt and pepper. (I admit I like fat on my meat, and the lamb isn't that fatty, so I didn't trim my shanks).
- 2Heat the oil in the PC. Add the shanks and brown on all sides. (You can do this in a separate pan if you like).
- 3When the shanks are almost completely browned, add the garlic cloves and cook until they are lightly browned but not burned.
- 4Add the stock, port, tomato paste, and rosemary, stirring so the tomato paste dissolves.
- 5Close the PC and bring up to full pressure (15 pounds).
- 6Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 30 minutes.
- 7Remove PC from heat and let pressure release naturally.
- 8Remove the lamb shanks.
- 9Return pan to heat and boil the liquid, uncovered, for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce.
- 10Whisk in the butter, then add the vinegar.
- 11Serve the sauce over the lamb.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks With Garlic and Port Wine - Pressure Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1278.7
- Calories from Fat 628
- Total Fat 69.8 g
- Saturated Fat 27.8 g
- Cholesterol 425.0 mg
- Sodium 453.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 122.7 g