1/1 Photo of Lamb Shanks With Butternut Squash Recipe
3 hrs 15 mins
A tasty lamb recipe. If you want, you can leave out the beans and serve over mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (1 lb) lamb shanks
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 garlic cloves (6 unpeeled, 2 minced)
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 slice orange zest (optional)
- 500 -600 g butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 1/2 squash)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup cooked cannellini beans (optional)
- 1Heat half the olive oil in a large pot or stove-top safe casserole dish.
- 2Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper, add them to the casserole and brown well. Transfer the shanks to a plate.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350°F and arrange two racks in the oven, one to hold the casserole and one to hold a baking sheet with the squash.
- 4Add the unpeeled garlic cloves, celery, carrots and onion to the casserole. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the wine and boil over high heat until the liquid is very syrupy, about 10 minutes.
- 6Return the shanks to the casserole and add the stock and orange zest. Bring to a simmer.
- 7Cover the casserole and braise the shanks in the oven for 2-3 hours until the meat is very tender. Turn the shanks from time to time as they cook.
- 8Meanwhile, on a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the squash with the remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- 9Season with salt and pepper and bake in the oven (along with the lamb) for about an hour, or until tender.
- 10In a small bowl, mix the minced garlic with the parsley and lemon zest (the "gremolata"). Set aside.
- 11Remove the shanks from the oven and transfer to a plate. Pass the sauce through a coarse strainer, pressing hard on the vegetables. Discard the vegetable pulp. Skim the fat from the surface of the sauce.
- 12Return the sauce to the casserole, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil over moderately high heat until the sauce thickens as much as you like. I boil it for at least 10 minutes.
- 13Add the lamb shanks and squash; simmer just until warmed through. Add the cannellini beans if using, cover and remove from heat.
- 14Let stand for a few minutes to allow for the flavors to blend.
- 15Spoon the vegetables and sauce into 2 large shallow bowls and set the lamb shanks on top.
- 16Garnish with the gremolata and serve.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks With Butternut Squash Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (1691 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1653.7
- Calories from Fat 738
- Total Fat 82.0 g
- Saturated Fat 27.2 g
- Cholesterol 418.8 mg
- Sodium 930.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 135.5 g