Recipe by mollypaul
Tender and delicious, this old fashioned favorite is from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown shanks in butter; add water and seasonings.
- Cover and allow to simmer about an hour or until tender.
- Remove meat from broth.
- When cool enough to handle, remove bones.
- Cook the barley in lamb broth about two hours, adding water as necessary.
- Stuff boned shanks with cooked barley and place in a baking dish.
- Add remaining lamb broth (you can thicken it, if desired, to make a gravy)
- Heat thoroughly in a 350F oven, about 15-20 minutes.