Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Tender and delicious, this old fashioned favorite is from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Brown shanks in butter; add water and seasonings.
- Cover and allow to simmer about an hour or until tender.
- Remove meat from broth.
- When cool enough to handle, remove bones.
- Cook the barley in lamb broth about two hours, adding water as necessary.
- Stuff boned shanks with cooked barley and place in a baking dish.
- Add remaining lamb broth (you can thicken it, if desired, to make a gravy)
- Heat thoroughly in a 350F oven, about 15-20 minutes.