1/1 Photo of Lamb Shanks on Cannellini Beans
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
Another French comfort food I found on myrecipes.com. Posted for ZWT8- France.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 (3/4 lb) lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary (dried)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans
- 4 bacon, slices
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- rosemary sprig (optional)
- 1Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add lamb;cook 12 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from skillet.
- 2Add carrots,onions, and celery to skillet;saute 3 minutes. Add wine. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in broth, rosemary, tomatoes, and bay leaves. Return lamb to skillet (skillet will be very full). Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until lamb is very tender, turning lamb once. Remove lamb from skillet, bring liquid to a boil, and cook 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- 4Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans; place in Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Drain.
- 5Cook bacon in the Dutch oven over med-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from Dutch oven, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon. Heat drippings over med-high heat. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes or until golden. Stir in beans and bacon; remove from heat.
- 6Divide beans evenly among 6 plates, arrange lamb on beans. Spoon sauce over lamb. Garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks on Cannellini Beans
Serving Size: 1 (665 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 986.1
- Calories from Fat 409
- Total Fat 45.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 309.6 mg
- Sodium 594.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 100.1 g