Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These are so good, your house will smell divine
- 2 large lamb shanks
- 1 medium onion
- 10 garlic whole cloves
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (10 ounce) can consomme
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 tablespoon maggi liquid seasoning
- corsre kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Greek oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- heat oven to 350.
- brown the shanks in oil in a frying pan.
- place shanks in a roasting pan
- spread mustard on shanks.
- sprinkle on the oregano ,salt and pepper.
- brown onions, carrots and celery.
- add onions and celery to the roasting pan.
- in the browing pan add the consomme and burgundy wine reduce by 1/3.
- pour over the shanks along with garlic.
- place in oven approx 2 1/2 hours.
- turn shanks several times. adding more broth if needed.
Yummers! This was so simple and so tasty! I had to use a Country Dijon mustard as I was out of the regular stuff. The smell of the garlic and the burgundy was intoxicating and filled the kitchen! I did add a little bit of a cornstarch slurr at the end to thicken the sauce and it turned it very well. I served the veggies on the side with some garlic mashed potatoes. Nice comfort meal. Thanks Chef susan from Sandpoint Idaho for a nice new keeper. Made for Fall PAC 2009.
I transferred the cooked shanks and other ingredients to my La Chasseure cast iron pot and fitted with lid and cooked at 160C for 2 3/4 hours for fall of the bone shanks. I upped this to 3 serves and my shanks were about 500 grams each. I did use a merlot instead of a burgandy and had to use basil instead of oregano as that is what I had on hand. Served with mashed potato and crusty bread. I also gave the liquid in the pot (there wasn't a lot) a light blitz with the stick blender and served this over the shanks which provided some extra vegetables and was nice to mop up the juices with the crusty bread. I think you would need more liquid if you were doing in an open roasting pan. Thank you Chef susan from Sandpoint, Idaho, made for New Kid on the Block.