Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This one-pot dish cooks low and slow to create a hearty and flavorful Greek-inspired dish. From "365 Easy One-Dish Meals"....
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs lamb shanks
- 2 onions
- 2 zucchini
- 6 carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon mint
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 (6 ounce) canpitted whole olives, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Chop the onions, zucchini, carrots, and garlic.
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat. Cook the lamb shanks, 2 at a time, turning until browned on all sides. Remove shanks to a plate.
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon drippings from the pan. Add the onions and cook about 8 minutes until golden. Stir in zucchini and carrots and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, basil, oregano, mint, tomato sauce, and wine. Heat to boiling. Add lamb shanks and press them into the sauce.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 3-3 1/2 hours, until lamb is very tender and falls away from the bone.
- Stir in lemon juice, olives, and pepper. Serve over orzo or rice.
Great shanks. I made as directed but used fresh mint from the garden and used a mixture of Greek olives that I got at the deli. Simple and so good. Thanks loof for sharing. Made for ZWT9.