2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Yorkshire Pud's Note:
A delicious meal for two, worth saving for a special occasion. The long cooking time allows you to set the scene ie.light the candles and open the bottle of Rioja. The sauce is quite rich and needs only a simple accompaniment such as couscous or plain mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lamb shanks
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14 prunes, eg.Whitworth's Ready to Eat
- 29.58 ml honey
- 9.85 ml cornflour (optional)
- toasted almonds (to garnish) or chopped coriander (to garnish)
- 1In a large dish combine 2 tbs olive oil,onion,garlic,spices,lemon juice and zest.
- 2Add lamb shanks.Coat with marinade and cover.Leave 2-3 hours in fridge(longer if time permits)stirring occasionally and turning the lamb.
- 3Heat 1 tbs olive oil in large frying pan.Lift lamb shanks out of marinade and into frying pan.Brown lamb well on all sides.
- 4Remove lamb from pan and place in a large casserole dish.
- 5Add marinade ingredients to pan with 100mls/4 fluid ozs water and heat gently for 3-4 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat.Add honey and prunes. Stir gently to incorporate,without breaking up the prunes.
- 7Pour this heated mixture over the lamb shanks.Cover with lid or foil.
- 8Cook in preheated oven 160 deg C,325 deg F,gas mark 3 for 2 1/2 hours.
- 9If you prefer a thicker sauce,blend cornflour with a little cold water in a cup.Remove casserole from oven after two hours,stir a little of the sauce into the cornflour and water,mix well then stir back into the sauce in the casserole. Return casserole to oven for remaining half hour.
- 10Serve garnished with toasted almonds and/or chopped coriander.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks in Honeyed Prune Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1064.0
- Calories from Fat 493
- Total Fat 54.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 183.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 46.5 g
- Protein 74.1 g