1 hr 50 mins
A tasty lamb shank recipe which can be frozen if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 kg lamb shanks, french cut (about 8 of them)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 59.14 ml plain flour
- 473.18 ml beef stock
- 118.29 ml red wine
- 425 g can tomato puree or 425 g can chopped tomatoes, and puree yourself
- 1 bunch green onion (scallions spring onions)
- 236.59 ml shredded fresh basil
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1Heat the oil in a pan and cook the shanks in batches until browned; transfer to a baking dish.
- 2Heat the butter in a pan and add the garlic and flour, cook stirring until the flour is lightly browned.
- 3Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the stock, wine and tomato puree, simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- 4Pour the sauce over the shanks and bake covered in a moderately slow oven for 1-1/2 hours at 160dC 325D F.
- 5Add the onion, basil and tomatoes and bake covered for about a further 20 minutes or until the mixture boils.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks in a Tomato Basil Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (780 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1974.2
- Calories from Fat 999
- Total Fat 111.1 g
- Saturated Fat 45.7 g
- Cholesterol 701.7 mg
- Sodium 992.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 204.0 g