Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
A tasty lamb shank recipe which can be frozen if you like.
Make and share this Lamb Shanks in a Tomato Basil Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 3 kg lamb shanks, french cut (about 8 of them)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 59.14 ml plain flour
- 473.18 ml beef stock
- 118.29 ml red wine
- 425 g can tomato puree or 425 g can chopped tomatoes, and puree yourself
- 1 bunch green onion (scallions spring onions)
- 236.59 ml shredded fresh basil
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the shanks in batches until browned; transfer to a baking dish.
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the garlic and flour, cook stirring until the flour is lightly browned.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the stock, wine and tomato puree, simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the shanks and bake covered in a moderately slow oven for 1-1/2 hours at 160dC 325D F.
- Add the onion, basil and tomatoes and bake covered for about a further 20 minutes or until the mixture boils.
This was good Latchy, but lacked the depth of flavour your Lamb Shanks with Madeira and Olive Sauce Lamb Shanks With Madeira and Olive Sauce has. I browned the shanks, poured of most of the fat, then browned the garlic, and poured in the sauce stuff. I poured this over the shanks then oven cooked them for 1 1/2 hours, removed it to the stove top and reduced the liquid whilst I cut up all the stuff for step 6. This meant I had a reduced sauce rather than a flour thickened one. I still felt the sauce lacked "something". I was tempted to throw in olives and capers and rosemary to increase the gutsiness of it-I think it needed stronger flavoured herbs than just basil. But a simple recipe that came together very quickly, and resulted in very tender shanks. I actually made all the sauce for half the shanks, and froze the remainder. We'll eat it again with shanks, but with the additional ingredients I mentioned.