Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 50 mins
A tasty lamb shank recipe which can be frozen if you like.
Make and share this Lamb Shanks in a Tomato Basil Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 3 kg lamb shanks, french cut (about 8 of them)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 (425 g) can tomato puree or 1 (425 g) can chopped tomatoes, and puree yourself
- 1 bunch green onion (scallions spring onions)
- 1 cup shredded fresh basil
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the shanks in batches until browned; transfer to a baking dish.
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the garlic and flour, cook stirring until the flour is lightly browned.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the stock, wine and tomato puree, simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the shanks and bake covered in a moderately slow oven for 1-1/2 hours at 160dC 325D F.
- Add the onion, basil and tomatoes and bake covered for about a further 20 minutes or until the mixture boils.