1/2 Photos of Lamb Shank Tagine
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
I found this recipe for shanks on the net, and added a few things to it to please us. I'm able to cook shanks now there is just the two of us. Shanks are expensive here-too expensive for a family!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup golden raisin (sultanas)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5 cm gingerroot, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 preserved lemon, rinsed and flesh discarded, sliced (OR 1 lemon and 2 teaspoons salt)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted in a dry pan until golden
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1Soak the sultanas in sherry for 30 minutes.
- 2Heat the oil in a large pan with lid.
- 3Brown the lamb shanks well on all sides, then add the onions, garlic, ginger and coriander and cook a further 5 minutes.
- 4Heat the stock and add the saffron strands.
- 5Allow to stand for 2 minutes to infuse.
- 6Add the sultanas and sherry, cinnamon and saffron stock to the pan and bring to the boil.
- 7Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 2 hours or until the lamb shanks are tender-check occasionally after 1 1/2 hours.
- 8If you are using the fresh lemon rather than the preserved one, slice it and sprinkle with the salt.
- 9Cover it with boiling water and set aside until the shanks are cooked, then drain.
- 10When the shanks are cooked, remove them and puree half the sauce in a blender or food processor.
- 11Return the shanks and pureed sauce to the remaining chunky sauce, and add the lemon (preserved or fresh slices) Season with pepper, sprinkle over the toasted almonds and parsley and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shank Tagine
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1557.6
- Calories from Fat 745
- Total Fat 82.8 g
- Saturated Fat 29.5 g
- Cholesterol 489.0 mg
- Sodium 591.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 150.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: