Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have used this recipe over and over for donkey years. It is so easy and so tasty.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon fruit chutney
- 2 cups green peas
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Heat butter and oil in a heavy saucepan or casserole and slowly brown shanks on all sides.
- Add onion, stock, Worcestershire sauce, carrots and potatoes and bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until shanks are tender.
- Stir in fruit chutney and cooked or frozen peas and heat through.
- At this stage I make a roux (Equal amounts of butter and plain flour), I then stir it through to thicken the sauce slightly.
- Taste for seasoning and serve with chopped parsley.