Recipe by Terese
A lovely hearty soup great for those winter months.
Top Review by ellie_
Excellent recipe for fall/winter mid-week dinners. I served this easy-to-make soup with Barbara Mooers Best Popovers for a perfect meal for soup night. Update: this is also a great recipe when using a cooked lamb bone. Thanks Therese for sharing this keeper recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lamb shanks
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- 1 liter water
- 1 (425 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large stock pot/saucepan.
- Brown shanks well all over.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add onions and garlic to pan.
- Saute until onions are tender.
- Stir in carrots, potatoes, turnip and pasrnip.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Blend in remaining ingredients.
- Return shanks to pot.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until barley is tender and lamb falls off the bone (add more liquid as required).
- Transfer shanks to a dish.
- Remove meat and chop roughly.
- Add meat to soup.
- Heat gently.
- Serve with bread.