Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
From the June 24, 2008 Sydney Morning Herald. The 2 hours prep time is for marinating the lamb.
Make and share this Lamb Shank and Potato Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 4 small lamb shanks
- 100 g yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, halved and finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 400 ml water
- 200 g green beans
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
For the spice mix
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Wash the shanks and trim neatly.
- Mix the yoghurt with the garam masala and massage into the shanks. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Combine the spice mix ingredients.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frypan and cook the onion until soft but not browned. Add the ginger, garlic, bay leaves and spice mix and cook for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a heavy, lidded pot and brown the lamb shanks on all sides.
- Add the onion mixture, tomato paste, diced potato, salt and 400ml water, and bring to a high simmer.
- Cover and cook over gentle heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the lamb is tender and the sauce is thick.
- Cook the beans in simmering salted water, drain and toss over the top. Scatter with nigella seeds and coriander and serve with warm naan bread and yoghurt, and rice pulao.
I made this for my hubby & sister last night, and we all LOVED it! We all love Indian food, and this was truly amazing! My only 2 alterations were that I couldn't find nigella seeds, so I left them out. Also i ended up having to cook it in the crock pot, so my cooking method was slightly different. after the marinating stage, I just threw it all in the crock pot for a couple of hours, and the meat was so tender, and the flavours all really came together. Great recipe, thanks for sharing it! [Made for the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap Sep 08]