1/1 Photo of Lamb Shank and Barley Soup
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 40 mins
My husband loves lamb shanks- basically anyway that they can be cooked. To make this dish gluten free, substitute the pearl barley for split peas or lentils. Serve garnished with chopped parsley and some crusty bread or cornbread on the side. A protein packed meal in a bowl. This can be finely processed for babies and frozen in serving sizes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim any excess fat from the lamb shanks. Place into a large saucepan or boiler. Along with the water/stock and salt.
- 2Bring slowly to the boil and simmer gentley for 1 1/2 hours.
- 3Skim/remove any excess fat from the top of the stock with a spoon and/pr paper towel.
- 4Return the stock to the stove and add all remaining ingredients. Simmer for another 1 1/2 hours.
- 5Remove the meat from the bones and chop into chunky pieces. Return meat to the stock and discard the bones.
- 6Reheat to serve. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley or a sprig of parsley as garnish.
- 7This can be finely processed for babies and frozen in serving sizes.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shank and Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (830 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 638.8
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 161.4 mg
- Sodium 554.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 53.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: