Recipe by Polar Bear
DONT DARE TO OVERCOOK ! MUST BE SERVED RARE ! A real gourmet treat from Italy... tastes completely different from the well-done version. Easy, tasty, juicy...From the Nitty Gritty Italian Cookbook
- 5 -6 lbs leg of lamb
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry red wine
- 3⁄4 cup bolognese sauce (preferably homemade)
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Have the butcher bone the lamb.
- Remove the fell and as much of the fat and muscles as possible, using a sharp boning knife.
- Cut the lamb into slices 1/2´´ thick.
- Then cut the slices into 2´´ long strips.
- Heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy skillet.
- When it sizzles, add just enough meat to easily brown in a single layer without overcrowding.
- Turn strips to brown on all sides.
- The strips should be PINK IN THE CENTER after browning.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat to a warm platter.
- Season it lightly to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm in a 200° oven.
- Continue to quickly saute the lamb until all the strips are done.
- Use more butter and oil if necessary.
- Add the wine and Sauce Bolognese to the skillet and cook over high heat until you have barely 1 1/3 cups of sauce remaining.
- Spoon sauce over the meat, sprinkle with parsley, and serve immediately.