Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Another Nigella Lawson gem , this is a perfect dish for a cheaper cut of an expensive meat as there is no carving, the meat is so tender it just shreds so there is no waste. She states it can be cooked for a shorter period of time, say 5 hours at gas mark 3 but I love the long low cooking as at a lower temp very little can go wrong, plus, the smell drives everyone wild for longer. (Save any liquid left from cooking as this is concentrated stock and can be frozen and used for gravy.)
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/gas mark 1.
- On the hob, brown the lamb, fat-side down, in a large roasting tin, remove when browned across its middle and set aside.
- Add the vegetables into the roasting tin you browned the lamb in, sprinkle with the salt and cook them gently for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the water over and then replace the lamb, this time fat-side up, let the liquid in the pan come to a bubble.
- Make a tent with tin foil and put in the preheated oven overnight
- About an hour before you want to eat, transfer the lamb from the tin to a large plate
- Just before serving, pull it to pieces with a couple of forks and transfer to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle with more Maldon salt and some freshly chopped mint.
- Cut the pomegranate in half and remove the seeds from one of the halves.
- sprinkle over the lamb.
- Squeeze the juice of the other half over the lamb.
- Serve with green salad and couscous or quinoa.