Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My Lamb version to "Chicken Rendang" from the cookbook "Extending the Table"
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon crushed ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 lbs lamb, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons dried lemon grass or 3 stalks fresh lemongrass, with ends crushed
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups coconut milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Fry onion, red pepper flakes, ginger root and garlic in 3 Tbsp.
- When golden brown, add meat, lemon grass, water, and 1 1/2 cups coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- When meat is almost cooked, add sugar and remaining coconut milk.
- Return to a boil.
- Lower heat and allow to simmer until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- When done, meat will be very tender and much of the liquid should have evaporated giving the dish a stew-like quality.
- Add salt to taste and serve with rice.