Recipe by Stacelee
Mediterranean Cookbook, Women's Weekly page 72
Top Review by ItalianMama
When I made this for my fiance, he was insisting that I add it to my permanent recipe book after just a few bites! And I have to say that I agree. The flavor combination was just perfect, with the feta especially sending it into heavenly territory. Don't be intimidated by the number of ingredients or the fillo dough; it's easier than you might think. I wound up making this with beef instead of lamb, and for step #2, I just dumped it all in a Crock Pot on high for 5 hours until the meat was tender. I made a half recipe (1 1/2 kg is about 3 1/3 lbs.) and baked it in a 10-inch deep dish pie plate with the sheets of fillo overlapping each other on top (just rotate each sheet a little when adding it and trim the edges when you're finished). It turned out perfect that way, so if you don't have smaller oven-safe casserole dishes, don't let that stop you! The only thing that I will do differently next time is to add more fillo. I used 7 sheets, but I think I might increase it to 10 just because I really like fillo. But truly an excellent recipe, definitely a new favorite, so thank you very much for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2012.
- 1 1⁄2 kg leg of lamb, boned
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 410 g tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 250 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 80 g butter, melted
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut lamb into 3cm cubes' Combine lamb and marinade in bowl, cover; refrigerate several hours or ovemight. Drain lamb from marinade; discard.
- marinade. Heat oil in large pan, add onion and garlic, cook, stirring, until onion is soft, add-lamb, cook, stirring until lightly browned. Stir in flour, paste, then garam masala, cinnamon and undrained crushed tomatoes, bring to boil, simmer covered, 1 hour or until lamb is tender.
- Remove lid, simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stir in parsley; cool.
- Divide lamb mixture between 4 ovenproof dishes (2 cup capacity), top with cheese.
- Layer pastry sheets togethel brushing each with butter. Cut 4 rounds from pastry large enough to cover tops of dishes and overhang edge by 1cm. Lightly brush rims of dishes with butter, cover with pastry rounds, press around rims firmly.
- Place dishes on oven tray, bake in moderate oven 20 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned.
- Marinade: Combine all ingredients in bowl; mix well.