Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
from the slow cooker cookbook
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb stew meat, trimmed of all fat
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 small leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into small chunks
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2⁄3 cup broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat slow cooker to high.
- Trim the lamb and cut into small cubes. Toss in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the lamb cubes. Cook for 5 minutes, until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add any remaining flour to pan and coo and stir for 2 minutes. Add the squash and the canned tomatoes. Stir.
- Mix together the broth and the tomato paste. Add it to the pan along with the dried herbs and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the lamb back to the pan.
- Pour it all into the crock pot.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5-1/2 hours.
- Cover the leek with boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes. Add to the crock pot, cover and cook for 30 more minutes up to 2 hours.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
- Good with pasta.