1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
A hearty and delicious stew.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs blade center-cut shoulder lamb chops, boned, well trimmed, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 3 medium carrots, cut on diagonal into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 3 large leeks, coarsely chopped (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces fully cooked smoked garlic sausage (like Kielbasa) or 8 ounces other smoked sausage, but in half lengthwise, sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces (like Kielbasa)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1Combine 1 lb beans and enough water to cover in heavy large Dutch oven.
- 2Bring to boil.
- 3Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 hour.
- 4Drain beans and return to Dutch oven.
- 5Shake dried mushrooms in strainer to remove any sand.
- 6Add mushrooms and chicken broth to beans and bring to boil.
- 7Reduce heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer 30 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 9Season lamb generously with salt and pepper.
- 10Working in batches, add lamb to skillet; saute until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 11Using slotted spoon, transfer lamb to large bowl.
- 12Add wine to skillet and bring to boil, scraping up and browned bits.
- 13Add wine and lamb to beans in Dutch oven.
- 14Mix in garlic.
- 15Cover partially; simmer 30 minutes.
- 16Uncover, add carrots and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 17Add leeks and cream.
- 18Simmer until beans and lamb are tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- 19Add sausage.
- 20Using slotted spoon, transfer solids to a large bowl.
- 21Boil liquid until reduced to sauce consistency, about 10 minutes.
- 22Return solids to Dutch oven; simmer until heated through.
- 23Season to taste.
- 24Stir in basil.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Ragout
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1100.7
- Calories from Fat 550
- Total Fat 61.1 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 190.7 mg
- Sodium 1093.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.6 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 62.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: