Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a good "kids curry"-a nice chilliless introduction for them. You can add a couple of red chillies at the onion stage though if you wish. Prep tim doesn't allow for marinating time.
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (200 g) carton natural yoghurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 kg lean lamb fillets, diced
- 40 ml vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 1⁄2 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 kg potato, cut into 2.5 cm dice (I would use a red potato)
- 1 (410 g) canpeeled crushed tomatoes
- 40 ml tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch english spinach, trimmed and washed
- Combine the coriander, cumin, turmeric, yoghurt and lemon juice in a large bowl and add the lamb.
- Mix well and cover.
- Place in the fridge and marinate for at least 3 hours-overnight would be better.
- heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and fry the onion, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the lamb (and the marinade) and the potatoes, crushed tomatoes and paste.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently uncovered for 1-1 1/4 hours or until the lamb is very tender.
- Check and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Add the spinach and simmer for a further 3 or 4 minutes.
We really loved the flavour of this curry (even the DM) but I did use a prediced lamb from the supermarket instead of fillet but allowed 2 1/2 hours to cook but some of the potatoe were still on the raw side but I did serve up on what I tasted which was cooked and the meat was a little chewy so when making again I would cover and simmer or cook in a slow 160C fan forced oven for I would make with the cheaper cut of lamb. Also I used greek yoghurt. Thank you JustJanS, made for Recipe Swap #76 Aussie/Kiwi forum May 2013.
I only used a "loved it" rating because I didn't follow the recipe exactly. Here's what I did...I put the crushed tomatoes, paste, yogurt, lemon and the spices, including the garlic and ginger, into a blender. Then I browned some ground turkey, added the blended spiced tomatoes and simmered it while I cooked the potatoes, I used red ones. Added it all to the crock pot with the onions and let it cook all day. 20 min. before dinner I added the spinach. It was wonderful and the kids loved it. Thanks for a great idea.