Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
From "Wine Lover's Healthy Weight-Loss Plan" Recommended Wine Pairing: Merlot or Cab Sauv Gourmet alternative: use lamb or other demiglace instead of broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, toasted
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lbs venison tenderloins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried tart cherries
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Using spice grinder, combine rosemary, coriander, and garlic to make a paste.
- Rub each tenderloin with 1 Tbs of olive oil, then rub each tenderloin with the paste. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbs of olive oil in ovenproof nonstick saute pan over high heat. Add tenderloin and cook until browned, turning once, about 5 minutes Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven. Roast until meat thermometer registers 125F, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer meat to plate and cover with foil.
- Stir cornstarch into a bit of broth until smooth. Add mixture, wine, cherries, ginger, orange zest, and remaining broth to saute pan over medium-high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes Whisk in honey, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice venison on the diagonal, serve with sauce.