Recipe by Dana-MMH
This is a great dish to make in advance, it freezes really well. Be sure to eat this with some good bread to soak up the juices. This is an all time favorite in our family.
Top Review by TGirl,RN
What a wonderful treat this was!! I'd never made anything out of lamb before--this recipe is simple to follow, very well written, and beyond delicious!! The lamb was so tender!! We served this stew over white rice, and of course, had warm rolls to soak up the sauce...Dana, this was outstanding!!! Definitely a keeper--thank you so much for sharing!! TERESA
- 1 1⁄2 stewing lamb or 1 1⁄2 stewing beef, cut in 2 inch cubes and dusted with flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- water (as needed)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green beans, washed,trimmed of stems,and cut
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 quart pot, saute onion and garlic in hot oil.
- Add meat and brown over medium heat.
- Add salt, pepper, parsley, tomatoes, tomatoe sauce, and sugar; bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Stir and cook about 10 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 cup water; cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add green beans.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook for another 45-60 minutes or until green beans are tender.
- Frozen green beans may be used, or canned green beans.
- This dish freezes very well.
- Be sure to coat meat with flour, this helps thicken the sauce.